The Government of Spain has announced the acquisition of two new OPV’s (BAM) for the Spanish Navy, following the series of 4 already in service, built by Navantia from 2006 to 2012.
The ship is moderately-sized with a total length of between 90 and 95 m. and displacement of 2400-2500 tons, a small crew and a high level of habitability. It is a high performance ship with great versatility regarding missions, enjoys a high level of system commonality with other Spanish Navy ships and has low acquisition and life cycle costs.
The ship’s main missions include:
- Protection and escort of other ships
- Control of maritime traffic
- Control and neutralisation of terrorist actions and piracy
- Operations against drug trafficking and the traffic in persons
- Maritime rescue and salvage operations
- Crisis situation support and humanitarian assistance
- Control of fishing legislation
- Control of environmental and anti-pollution legislation
The Spanish shipbuilder Navantia, is a world reference in the design, construction and integration of state-of-the-art war ships, as well as ship repairs & modernizations. It is also engaged in the design and manufacture of Integrated Platform Management Systems, Fire Control Systems, Command and Control systems, Propulsion Plants and through life support for all its products. Even though its main line of activity is in the naval field, Navantia designs and manufactures systems for the Army and the Air Force.