The first four fast landing crafts (LLC) for the Royal Australian Navy departed on 08 March on board a cargo from Navantia facilities in Puerto Real.
The cargo is scheduled to reach its destination around mid April.
The remaining eight units are being built by Navantia in different steps of construction, and will be delivered in groups of four during the next months.
The main characteristics of the ships are:
- Lenght overall: 23.30 m.
- Floatation lenght: 21.27 m.
- Width: 6.40 m.
- Depth: 2.80 m.
- Propulsion: two 809 kW diesel engines, two waterjets propellers
- Speed: more than 20 knots
- Autonomy: 190 miles at full load
- Loading capacity flexibility: Abrams vehicle, several Army vehicles, fusiliers’ company or 20 feet container truck.
The contract for the construction of the series of 12 LLC was signed in September 2011. The landing crafts are destined to operate with the ALHD “Canberra” and ALHD “Adelaide”, strategic projection ships, similar to LHD ”Juan Carlos I”, also built by Navantia in cooperation with BAE Systems. (Photo: Navantia)