Bittium is joining the defense and security exhibition DSEI from 12-15 September 2023, in London, UK, and is showcasing its products and solutions enabling next-generation tactical and secure communications. DSEI is one of the world’s biggest events in its industry. It brings together over 2,800 companies, defense forces and governments, authorities, as well as other actors of the industry.
The tactical communications products and systems on exhibit at the event enable broadband IP-based data transfer and voice across the battlefield. For example, the software-defined radio based Bittium Tactical Wireless IP Network™ system and Bittium Tough SDR™ radios can be used to form survivable, modular, and scalable tactical communications networks that enable real-time situational awareness from frontline troops to brigade level.
The Tough SDR radios use three different waveforms for communications: Bittium TAC WIN Waveform, Bittium Narrowband Waveform, and ESSOR High Data Rate Waveform (EHDRWF). The EHDRWF ensures communications interoperability amongst defense forces, and the NATO military alliance has decided to adopt it as a coalition waveform “STANAG 5651”. The ratification process started this past spring. The waveform has been developed by a4ESSOR consortium, consisting of Bittium, Indra, Leonardo, Radmor, Rohde & Schwarz, and Thales.
Products and systems for tactical communications include:
- Bittium Tactical Wireless IP Network™ (TAC WIN) is a high-performance, broadband communications system meant for different use cases of defense forces.
- Bittium Tough SDR Handheld™ and Bittium Tough SDR Vehicular™ tactical radios enable excellent performance for tactical communications for both soldiers and vehicles.
- Bittium Tough Comnode™ fulfils the data transfer needs of troops for example as a VoIP phone, IP router, and field wire repeater.
- Bittium Tough VoIP Field Phone™ 2 is a next-generation VoIP phone, which, thanks to its features, accessories, and powering options, is the optimal solution for battlefield, vehicles, and command posts.
- Distributed and survivable Bittium Tough VoIP Service™ complements the offering by connecting users of the communication networks to the same voice service.
The products and solutions that enable secure communications include the ultra secure and rugged Bittium Tough Mobile™ 2 C smartphone and the related Bittium Secure Suite™ back-end system. Together they form a smartphone solution that has received official Confidential level encryption product classification (NCSA-FI). Bittium has also applied for NATO military alliance’s information security listing for the solution.
- Bittium Tough Mobile™ 2 C is a smartphone designed for demanding ultra secure mobile communications and it is a combination of unparalleled hardware- and software-based information security features as well as durability, and two completely separate and hardened operating systems.
- Bittium Tough Mobile™ 2 Tactical is a complete solution that enables soldier mobile communications. It is based on the secure and rugged Bittium Tough Mobile™ 2 smartphone that can be connected with either Bittium Tough SDR Handheld radio or third-party tactical radios.
- Bittium Secure Suite™ device management and encryption software product enables efficient utilization of the information security features of the Tough Mobile smartphones as well as reliable mobile device management, remote attestation, and secures the data transmission of the device.
- Bittium Secure Call™ application’s information security covers end-to-end encrypted voice and video calls, group calls, messages with attachments, group messaging, push-to-talk voice messages, and a feature that destroys messages after a predefined time.
All Bittium’s products are compatible with each other, are based on the latest software and device technologies, and offer diverse connectivity options also to third-party equipment and systems.
Bittium is a Finnish company with over 35 years of experience in advanced radio communication technologies and biosignal processing. For the Defense & Security market, Bittium provides the most modern products and solutions for tactical and secure communications. The products and solutions for tactical communications bring broadband data and voice to all troops across the battlefield. For secure communications, Bittium offers proven mobile devices and cyber security solutions certified up to the CONFIDENTIAL level.
Bittium’s net sales in 2022 were EUR 82.5 million and operating profit was EUR 0.3 million. Bittium is listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki Exchange.