Russia, India and other UN Security Council delegations voiced concerns about NATO strikes on Libyan state television last month, saying they were awaiting results of a NATO investigation as the Libyan state television showed what it said was footage of Muammar Qaddafi’s son Khamis, who, rebels said last week, had been killed. The Libyan government them denied such claims calling them “dirty lies”.
The criticism of NATO’s strikes came as Tripoli accused the alliance of killing dozens of civilians earlier this week.
Speaking after a closed-door meeting of the 15-nation council, at which the July 30 attack on the Libyan broadcaster was discussed at length, several envoys said they wanted NATO to clarify what happened and why the facility was targeted.
“We are very concerned about this (attack),” Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters. “We have urged them to stop this ... We were told they (NATO) are investigating the bombing of the TV station.”
Irina Bokova, Head of the UN cultural agency UNESCO, sharply rebuked NATO for the attack, which she said killed several people and wounded nearly a dozen.
“I deplore the NATO strike on Al Jamahiriya and its installations,” Ms. Bokova said in a statement. “Media outlets should not be targeted in military actions.”
NATO said last month it bombed three ground-based satellite transmission dishes in Tripoli to silence “terror broadcasts” on state television by Libyan Leader Muammar Qaddafi during an uprising against his rule.
NATO began striking Qaddafi’s forces in March on the basis of Security Council resolution 1973, which authorized UN member states to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya and to take “all necessary measures to protect civilians”.
Source: Al Arabiya; Reuters