A company-funded initiative, Excalibur N5 is a 5-inch/127 mm naval variant of the combat-proven Excalibur precision projectile used by the U.S. Army, the U.S. Marine Corps and several international armies. It is expected to more than triple the maximum effective range of conventional naval gun munitions and deliver the same pinpoint accuracy of the Excalibur Ib, which is in production today.
“Excalibur N5's range, precision and lethality will revolutionize naval gunfire and increase the offensive firepower of our Navy's destroyers and cruisers. This demonstration showcases the N5's maturity as a proven low-risk solution, and is ready for the Navy now,” said Duane Gooden, Vice President of Raytheon's Land Warfare Systems product line.
Excalibur N5 can be used to support several critical mission areas including Naval Surface Fire Support, Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW) and countering Fast Attack Craft (FAC).
Excalibur is a precision-guided, extended-range projectile that uses GPS guidance to provide accurate, first-round effects capability in any environment. By using Excalibur's level of precision, there is a major reduction in the time, cost and logistical burden associated with using other artillery munitions.
- Combat proven: Nearly 770 Excalibur rounds have been fired in combat with exceptional accuracy and lethality
- Precise: Excalibur consistently strikes less than two meters from a precisely-located target
- Responsive: Excalibur dramatically reduces mission response time
- Safe: Excalibur's precision practically eliminates collateral damage and has been employed within 75 meters of supported troops
- Affordable: With its first round effects, Excalibur reduces total mission cost and time and the user's logistics burden
- Evolving: Raytheon is adding a laser spot tracker to compensate for target location error, maintain precision in GPS denied or degraded environments, and enable engagement of relocated or moving targets
- Entering New Markets: With Excalibur N5, navies will be able to deliver extended range, precision naval surface fires
Raytheon Company, with 2014 sales of $23 billion and 61,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil government and cybersecurity markets throughout the world.
With a history of innovation spanning 93 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as cybersecurity and a broad range of mission support services.