Vanguards of Saudi National Guard Arrive in Najran

Saudi Press Agency (SPA)28.04.2015 KSA
Vanguards of Saudi National Guard Arrive in Najran

Vanguards of Saudi National Guard Arrive in Najran

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon
Google icon
e-mail icon

Vanguards of the Saudi Ministry of National Guard troops arrived Sunday in the province of Najran to secure the Kingdom’s border with Yemen, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

The Saudi border guards, who were sent after an order from King Salman bin Abdulaziz, will secure the frontier with Yemen from any possible threat.

The troops, which possess several types of weapons, are trained to carry out traditional combat and security missions.

These forces are one of the elements of national force participating in the protection of the strategic interests of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia alongside other elements of the national force enjoying follow-up and direct attention of Prince Miteb bin Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz, Minister of the National Guard.

These Forces consist of mechanized infantry brigade that includes infantry units, units of artillery and mortars, air defense, reconnaissance, engineering, logistics, weapons of anti-armor and guns of intrusion which are trained to carry out traditional combat tasks and security missions at the same time, commensurate with the current challenges faced by the world in general and the Kingdom in particular.

Last week, the Saudi-led coalition spokesman said that the Kingdom’s ground and Naval Forces would continue to guard its border with Yemen despite the end of its campaign of air strikes, known as Operation Decisive Storm.

Last week, a Saudi border guard was killed and two troops wounded by heavy gun and mortar fire in Najran.

Meanwhile, Yemeni Foreign Minister Riyadh Yaseen on Sunday rejected a call for peace talks issued by former President Ali Abdullah Saleh and said a Saudi-led military operation against Houthi militia had not ended.

“These calls are unacceptable after all of the destruction Ali Abdullah Saleh has caused. There can be no place for Saleh in any future political talks,” Yaseen told a news conference in London.

Saleh, whose loyalists have been fighting alongside Iranian-allied Houthi rebels who toppled the central government, on Friday called on all Yemenis to return to political dialogue to find a way to end the country's spiraling conflict.

Yaseen was speaking after air raids, naval shelling and ground fighting shook Yemen on Sunday in some of the most widespread combat since the Saudi-led alliance intervened last month.

 
 



Latest Issue

Latest events