Kuwait, Jordan, Turkey to Join Libya Operations

Kuwait Times24.03.2011 Libya
Kuwait, Jordan, Turkey to Join Libya Operations

Kuwait, Jordan, Turkey to Join Libya Operations

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
LinkedIn icon
Google icon
e-mail icon

Kuwait and Jordan will give "logistic contributions" to the international coalition action against the Libyan regime, British Prime Minister David Cameron said yesterday.

The countries join Qatar, which has deployed Mirage fighter jets to become the only Arab state so far to commit military assets to the coalition led by the United States, Britain and France.

Cameron did not give any further details about the Kuwaiti and Jordanian contributions,
but added that the speed with which Western nations launched air strikes to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya and help rebel forces made it more difficult to get Arab nations on board.

The announcement came as NATO allies sought to overcome splits over giving the organization control of the no-fly zone and other operations.

NATO-member Turkey offered to contribute five warships and a submarine to international operations in Libya, assets it has stipulated will be used solely for humanitarian and defense purposes.

NATO has received offers from six countries for up to 16 vessels to prevent weapons from entering Libya, General Pierre St-Amand told a news briefing. According to the NATO General, Turkey has offered a submarine, four frigates and one auxiliary ship.

The Turkish government will seek parliamentary authorization today to send troops and military equipments abroad despite ongoing debate over NATO’s role in implementing the no-fly zone over Libya.

Parliament is expected to hold a closed session Thursday at 2 p.m. with Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu briefing lawmakers. The government has a clear majority in getting approval from Parliament but on Wednesday it began briefing the opposition parties about its stance on an operation in Libya.

 

Sources: Kuwait Times; Hürriyet Daily News

 
 



Latest Issue

Latest events