The FN Fire Control Unit: Successful target engagement with 40mm LV tube-launched grenades requires precise range estimation to the target and launch at the exact elevation angle, while keeping correct azimuth aiming.
The FN FCU consists of:
- a laser range finder (LRF), which calculates the distance between the shooter and the target
- a clinometer, which measures the difference in elevation/depression between the target and the shooter
- a ballistic computer, which calculates the angle of launch required
- a moving red reticle sight, which gives the correct aiming point
- a weapon cant indicator, which indicates when weapon realignment is required.
Two models are available: the FN FCU-850N and the FN FCU-1.5M. Both offer similar aiming/firing capabilities and benefits, with the FN FCU-1.5M featuring a laser range finder undetectable with Night Vision Goggles.
The deFNder™ Medium is the latest addition to the FN family of remote weapon stations. It has been designed to fulfill the force protection mission through fire support and self-defense when mounted onto light, medium and heavy vehicles. The deFNder™ Medium provides the best ratio depression/elevation range [-42°; +73°] (depending on weapon type) versus height (633mm). The deFNder™ Medium is the only remote weapon station capable of integrating the exclusive FN Herstal M3P machine gun, which has a unique firing rate of 1,100 rounds per minute.
A number of deFNder™ Medium and deFNder™ Light remote weapon stations are showcased on different light 4x4 armored vehicles and heavier 8x8 armored vehicles during IDEX 2011.