Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi announced that his forces will soon be supplied with new modern home-made destroyers and submarines, Fars News Agency (FNA) reported.
“The Navy will be stronger than the past in the near future with new developments, and a number of new destroyers and submarines will join it soon,” Rear Admiral Khanzadi said.
He also referred to the Iranian naval fleets’ presence in the international waters, stressing the country’s continued deployment 2,500 km away from its water borders until all countries work out collective security.
Rear Admiral Khanzadi said that the Iranian flotilla of warships have so far escorted over 2,400 vessels and have several times confronted pirates in free waters.
In the meantime, he underscored the necessity for the establishment of security in regional waters by the countries of the region and not the trans-regional states.
In relevant remarks in April, Rear Admiral Khanzadi announced that the country’s most state-of-the-art destroyer, ‘Sahand’, would be launched in the near future.
“Some defense systems are being mounted now on destroyer Sahand and the vessel will be put into operation soon,” Rear Admiral Khanzadi told reporters in Tehran.
He added that naval tests have been conducted on Sahand destroyer before the start of the new Iranian year (March 21).
Also, in November, Deputy Commander of the Iranian Army for Coordination Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced that Sahand would be launched in the next Iranian year (started on March 21, 2018).
“Sahand will join the Navy next year,” Rear Admiral Sayyari, Iran’s former Navy Commander, was quoted as saying by the Iranian media.
He added that a new missile-launching warship named ‘Separ’ (Shield) will join the Navy on December 4.
Rear Admiral Sayyari also said that the Navy experts are now working on a new destroyer named ‘Shiraz’ which will be launched after Sahand.