Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Lt. General Fayyad bin Hamid Al-Ruwaili received in Riyadh Wednesday the Head of the Military Academy of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, Colonel General Vladimir Zarudnitsky.
During the meeting, issues of common interest and bilateral military cooperation between the two countries were discussed.
The meeting was attended by a number of senior military officials from the Saudi and Russian sides, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation is one of the oldest Russian military educational institutions, where senior and senior officers of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, representatives of Russian ministries and departments, as well as military personnel of foreign states undergo training, retraining and advanced training.
The Academy of the General Staff was created in St. Petersburg in 1832 at the behest of Emperor Nicholas I and was intended for the “education of officers for the service of the General Staff” and “for the greater dissemination of military knowledge.” One of the authors of the project for the creation of the Academy was a major military theorist and historian, infantry general Baron Antoine-Henri Jomini (Heinrich Veniaminovich).
Today the Academy is the main higher military educational institution of the country and the leading center for scientific research in the field of defense and ensuring the national security of the state. Its main task is to train officers with the highest military operational and strategic training and specialists in the field of defense and national security of the Russian Federation.
Students are trained at three faculties: National security and state defense; Retraining and advanced training; Special faculty.
Scientific research carried out by the staff of the Academy is aimed at proactively solving the problems of military security of Russia, the construction, training and use of the Armed Forces in cooperation with other troops and bodies of the Russian Federation. For this purpose, the Academy includes:
- Research institute (military history), which conducts fundamental, problem-search and applied research in the field of general and national military history
- Military institute (national defense management), the main activities of which include educational and research activities in the field of national defense management
- A center for military-strategic research dealing with the problems of military development and the use of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, as well as the development, testing and coordination of the fundamental statutory documents of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation
- A scientific and practical center carrying out research in the interests of developing the theory and introducing methods of military vocational guidance and professional selection of conscripts and military personnel
- A research center that organizes, plans and coordinates scientific work, training of scientific and pedagogical personnel at the academy, and also conducts research on topical problems of military science and practice
- A research laboratory (research on the problems of the educational process) , which analyzes the state of the educational process, develops recommendations and proposals for its improvement
Training of scientific, pedagogical and scientific personnel is carried out in doctoral studies, postgraduate studies and through competition. The Academy has five dissertation councils, which accept dissertations in eight scientific specialties in five branches of science - military, philosophical, political, economic and historical.
As of 22 November 2017, Colonel General Vladimir Zarudnitsky has been the Head of the Academy.